|A Crit is any attack roll that is above 100. A Crit that does damage increases the total damage done by 25% and the Penetration of the attack by 50%. A Crit on effects with a duration (typically afflictions like Sickened or Paralyzed) will increase the duration by 25%.|
Critical Hit or Crit is a Combat mechanic in Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire. All attacks from all Weapons and Abilities are "Resolved" via roll that determines its effect on the target.
Effect of Critical Hits
- A Crit that does damage increases the Total Damage Done by 25% and the Penetration of the attack by 50%
- A Crit on effects with a duration (typically afflictions like Sickened or Paralized) will increase the duration by 25%
- Critical Hit Multiplier is a mechanic that increases the above values. See information below.
How to get Critical Hits
When an attack is rolled, the game first calculates each point of difference between the attacker's Accuracy and the target's Defenses, then moves the base scale to add or subtract requirement to posts. By default, Abilities and Equipment in use is calculated before setting the scale for the rolls. HOWEVER, there are certain special Abilities and Equipment that give a bonus a roll upwards one time after the attack has been resolved.
The Default Attack Scale
- Roll 01-30 = Miss
- Roll 31-50 = Graze (if attack is capable of Grazing)
- Roll 51-100 = Hit
- Roll 100+ = Crit
Example of Attack Resolution leading to Crit (attack from weapon against Deflection):
To-Hit: 41(Accuracy: 20 from Geomancer class +11 from Perception + 6 from Level +4 from Fine War Bow) - 27(Deflection: 20 base + 2 from Resolve -10 from Flanked + 15 from Path of the Damned difficulty) =14.
Roll: 90 (d100 roll result) + 14 (To-Hit value) = 104 (Crit)
|Accuracy - Defense||Miss Rolls||Graze Rolls||Hit Rolls||Critical Hit Rolls|
|50 Accuracy vs 25 Deflection||01-05||06-25||26-75||76-100|
|25 Accuracy vs 50 Deflection||01-55||56-75||76-100||n/a|
|35 Accuracy vs 25 Reflexes||01-20||21-40||41-90||91-100|
|40 Accuracy vs 40 Deflection||01-30||31-50||51-100||n/a|
|10 Accuracy vs 30 Fortitude||01-50||51-70||71-100||n/a|
Bonus Roll Abilities & Equipment
A special, secondary roll may be performed to change the outcome of the attack resolution if players have these specific abilities or equipment:
Critical Hit Chance & Multiplier
Players looking to benefit from Critical Hits should look into improving the effect of criticals. This is done by using specific Weapons and Items.
Weapons and Items that increase Critical Chance or Multiplier
- Scordeo's Trophy: +15% Crit damage (however, covered by usual -15% Crit damage for pistols)
- Killer's Gloves: +10% Crit damage with weapons
- Weapon 3: ?? %
- Potion of Merciless Gaze : 15% of Hits converted to Crits for 45.0 sec
- Potion of Perfect Aim: 25% of Misses converted to Grazes, 25% of Grazes converted to Hits, 25% of Hits converted to Crits for 30.0 sec