Monk is a Class in Pillars of Eternity 2. Monks are warriors that believe in the philosophy of mortification of the flesh. They absorb a portion of incoming damage and convert it into Wounds, which can be used to power soul-based abilities through their weapons. They are melee-focused but have a pretty wide variety of single-target and group attacks. Visit the Builds page for ideas on how to build an excellent Monk.
"Monks belong to a variety of fighting orders that have sprung up in Ixamitl and the Eastern Reach over the past few centuries. While many monastic orders can trace their teachings to the Enduring Founder, Tletac, individual orders vary greatly in their focus, morality, and ethics. Common folk respect the incredible discipline of monks but see them as an odd, unpredictable bunch who may not be entirely sane. Even mercenaries and other adventurers aren't sure what to make of them."
Monk Tips & Builds
- A full list of builds for all classes can be found on the Builds page.
- Monks excel at Unarmed combat and Transcendent Suffering gives a passive bonus to Accuracy, Penetration and Damage while attacking Unarmed. As Transcendent Suffering bonus increases with power level, monks specialising in unarmed combat should consider using a Nature Godlike for the +1 power level from Wellspring of Life .
- You are considered dual wielding with nothing in either hand and gain the bonus of Two Weapon Style.
- Wounds are a secondary Resource Monks use to spend on certain Abilities that they unlock as they level up, much the way their Mortification Abilities work. Monks gain 1 Wound each time they take 10 Damage. This number can be reduced to 8 with the Lesser Wounds passive.
- Despite appearances, Monks can use Weapons effectively and their Abilities do work with them just fine.
- Monks have access to near constant interrupts with the combination of Stunning Blow and Force of Anguish.
- Monks work best when using Light or No Armor, to increase their Attack Speed even further.
- Using Empower on a Monk will grant both Mortification and 5 Wounds.
- Monks make good use of Abilities that increase Stride because they frequently knock targets back, and this allows them to get back in melee range quickly.
- Classes that have Monastic Unarmed Training will have this replaced with Transcendent Suffering, and you will not be able to select it.
- Swift Strikes will reduce the Cast Time and Recovery Time of spells if you Multiclass.
Penalty: Helwalker Monks take 5% more damage for each Wound they have.
Bonus: All drug effects last longer. +1 wound and +50% Beneficial effect duration of drugs.
Penalty: Crash penalties from drugs cause the monk to be unable to receive healing. -1 Wounds per 3s while not benefiting from drugs.
Bonus: Gain Wounds by melee weapon damage inflicted.
Penalty: Cannot gain Wounds from damage received. The required threshold to gain Wounds is increased to 20. Max Wound limit is decreased to 5.
Penalty: No longer gain wounds from damage received.
|Ravager: + Barbarian||44 Base +14 per level||20/20||17||25||22||20|
|Cantor: + Chanter||41 Base +11 per level||20/20||20||20||22||25|
|Transcendent: + Cipher||40 Base +10 per level||20/20||20||20||17||27|
|Ascetic: + Druid||41 Base +11 per level||20/20||20||22||22||22|
|Brawler: + Fighter||42 Base +12 per level||20/20||22||20||22||20|
|Votary: + Paladin||42 Base +12 per level||20/20||20||22||17||25|
|Contemplative: + Priest||41 Base +11 per level||20/20||20||20||22||25|
|Wanderer: + Ranger||42 Base +12 per level||20/20||20||20||22||22|
|Shadowdancer: + Rogue||41 Base +11 per level||20/20||20||17||25||22|
|Sage: + Wizard||40 Base +10 per level||20/20||20||17||22||27|
Monk Multiclass Skill Table
|Ravager: + Barbarian||1||-||2||-||-||-||1||-||-||1||1||1||1||1||-||1|
|Cantor: + Chanter||1||1||1||-||-||1||-||1||1||1||1||-||1||1||-||-|
|Transcendent: + Cipher||1||-||1||-||1||1||-||1||-||-||2||-||2||1||-||-|
|Ascetic: + Druid||2||-||1||1||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||-||2||2||-||1|
|Brawler: + Fighter||1||-||2||1||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||1||1||1||1||1|
|Votary: + Paladin||1||1||2||-||-||-||-||-||1||-||1||1||1||2||-||-|
|Contemplative: + Priest||2||1||1||-||-||-||-||-||1||1||1||-||1||2||-||-|
|Wanderer: + Ranger||2||-||1||-||-||-||1||1||1||-||1||-||1||1||-||1|
|Shadowdancer: + Rogue||1||-||1||-||1||-||1||1||-||-||2||-||1||1||1||-|
|Sage: + Wizard||1||1||1||1||-||-||-||-||-||1||2||-||2||1||-||-|
The Monk Ability Tree characterizes for focusing on ?? and is well-complemented by a ?? build.
Monk Tips & Builds